SpringHouse Ministry Center: Part Time Child Care Staff
Hours: Very part time, approximately 4hours on Sunday morning, availability needed every other Sunday, more often as needed. Child care staff works with adult and youth volunteers on Sunday mornings. Other hours are sometimes available during the week depending on meeting schedules.
Congregational Context: Three progressive congregations on the edge of Uptown in south Minneapolis in a shared and renovated facility called SpringHouse Ministry Center. Salem English Lutheran Uptown (ELCA), First Christian Church (DOC) Minneapolis, and Lyndale UCC share programs like Sunday School, youth, child care, and justice, while maintaining congregational personality and ministry and worshiping separately most Sundays. This is a new model of ministry and a new way of using a facility. For more information, go to any of the following websites: www.discoversalem.org; www.lyndaleucc.org and www.fccminneapolis.org/ .
Supervision: Supervised by the Co-Chairs of the Children Ministry Team and the senior pastor from each congregation.
Responsibilities: Staff works collaboratively to provide safe childcare and meaningful activities (drama, arts, games, etc.) and play space when kids are not involved in Sunday School (9:15-10:15 am) or in worship (10:30 am). This position includes work with infants through age 8, and interaction with parents and other congregation members. Hospitality is essential as childcare staff is often the first to welcome families into our communities’ lives. Typically, during the busiest parts of the morning (10:15-noon) two volunteers are scheduled to assist staff.
The Childcare worker will:
- Be present for childcare between 8 am-noon on scheduled Sundays. Various hours often available during the week to provide child care for meetings, etc.
- Prepare space, getting out games and toys, setting up projects
- Provide developmentally appropriate care to young children
- Initiate and supervise activities, providing a safe play environment, and facilitating group interactions.
- Occasionally provide activities (e.g. making cards for seniors, learning a particular song, reading a book as a group, etc.)
- Maintain consistent expectations from week to week
- Assist kids moving between the child care space and worship spaces
- Use themes that support Sunday School learning and integrate values
- Interact with parents, receiving information, offering observations, communicating behavior concerns
- Inventory and request supplies, cleaning as needed
- Occasionally assist with congregational programs such as Sunday School Christmas Program
- Be alert to issues of safety and maintaining a healthy environment for children
Desired qualities: Joy in children, strong interpersonal skills with all ages, good boundaries, safety-minded, creative, flexible, independent, able to work collaboratively
Successful candidate: Will be 18 years or older with a successfully completed background check and reference checks.
Compensation: $15 – $20 per hour, DOQ
Posted: November 7, 2016
Open until filled
Three Churches, Three Traditions
The Ministry Center is made up of three churches, representing three very different traditions. You can learn more about each tradition below.